Land Worker at the Centre for Stewardship (Falkland Estate)
Community Jobs Scotland funded post – contact your Jobcentre Plus or Skills Development Scotland advisor to access an CJS application form.
The Land Worker post is an exciting and varied position. You will get the chance to work in a whole variety of outdoor settings including gardens, woodlands and a designed landscape. You will be trained on the job learning how to maintain paths, clear vegetation, how to use tools and equipment safely and properly. You will work in a team and receive good supervision.
The Land Worker will carry out a variety of tasks including:
1. Upkeep of the growing gardens and area around the Stables on Falkland Estate
2. Repair of dykes and other dry stone walling
3. Conservation – Rhododendron control, woodland management, hedge planting and litter picking
4. Forest management – thinning, planting, removing windblow, preparing firewood
5. Path maintenance – mowing, weeding, strimming, removal of overhanging branches, clearing drainage ditches
6. Maintenance of fencing and removal of deer fencing that is no longer required
7. Support events at the Centre for Stewardship in a practical way e.g. setting up marquees and tents
8. Landscaping and building restoration projects e.g. painting and repair of heritage and forestry buildings
9. Wildlife surveys and monitoring including red squirrels
10. Working with conservation volunteers on a range of tasks.